Israel Is Good for Your Health
The World Health Organization has released broad findings related to life expectancy, health, disease and death. World Health Statistics 2016 is packed with data pertaining to every country’s health makeup—from life expectancy at birth to infant mortality and maternal mortality to the impact of diseases like HIV/AIDS and malaria and instances of suicide and homicide. Some interesting findings:
- Israel is No. 8 for life expectancy, with an overall expectancy of 82.5 years (men on average reach 80.6, women 84.3).
- Japan has the highest overall life expectancy at 83.7 (Japanese women can expect to live the longest for their sex, an average of 86.8 years).
- The average life expectancy in the United States is 79.3.
- Globally, life expectancy is 71.4 (69.1 years for men, 73.8 years for women).
- According to the WHO report, “overall there was a global increase of 5.0 years in life expectancy between 2000 and 2015, with an even larger increase of 9.4 years observed in” sub-Saharan Africa, which had seen a spike in mortality because of HIV/AIDS in the 1990s.