Cranberry Apple Kugel
Cranberry Apple Kugel, from Not This Turkey! by Jessica Steinberg. Read review of the children’s book here.
8 ounces fresh cranberries
1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 1/2 pounds wide egg noodles (one and a half packages)
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon plus extra
3 large apples, peeled and thinly slices
5 large eggs
1. Place cranberries, 1/2 cup sugar, water and lemon zest in a saucepan over medium heat. Wait until the water begins to boil, then add cornstarch, and stir. Continue to simmer until cranberries are soft and sauces thickens. Add a little water if needed. Set aside to cool.
2. Cook noodles in a large pot. Drain well and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9-inch x 13-inch baking pan.
4. Melt margarine or butter and mix with sugar, cinnamon and apples.
5. Separate eggs and beat egg whites until frothy and thick. Add egg yolks to sugar-apple mixture. Add noodles and mix well. Gently fold egg whites into noodle mixture.
6. Spread half the noodle mixture in the pan. Add a layer of the cranberry sauce. Add the remaining noodles. Sprinkle with a very light dusting of cinnamon.
7. Bake 50-55 minutes or until desired crispness on top.
Linda Zaretzki says
This looks delicious. I will try it.
How is your family? We are cousins. Your father was my first cousin.
My maiden name was Linda Brodie
Harriet L. Meier says
Could you use whole berry cranberry sauce? It would make this easier and you could make it all year long.
Linda Kamin says
I, too, would like to know if you could make this with canned cranberry sauce.
Jane Hadlock says
Could you add 1 cup of ricotta cheese to make it a lunch dish?
Sharon C says
If you pick up a couple of bags of fresh cranberries now, they will stay in the freezer for up to a year. You can just take out the amount you need each time.
I have a feeling that the cranberry sauce is going to melt all over the kugel!
Marsha Adelson says
Can I use dried cherries instead of cranberries?